Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sons & Daughters

  There are so many roads to take on the way to whatever you look for in life. Some are clear and beautiful, others are stormy and full of potholes. At 28 years old, I feel I've had a good glimpse of each, but not nearly enough of either and my only wish has always been to be able to go back and tell my younger self, it's okay dude. Choose the one you want, but be committed.

  We're so influenced by outside sources, whether it be our traditional parents, "fun" friends, society, or a million other things, that by the time we reach an age where we're supposed to be married, with kids and a great career, and we're not, we start to wonder where WE went. Where we became lost, where we took a wrong turn? And can we go back to it and take the right one? Well, no. We can't. For many of us, this means winning over a past love. Going back to an ex we have such fond memories of and compare to every new potential partner we meet.

  Now for those special few, this totally works out, and we fall in love all over again and wonder why we ever broke up in the first place...but for a good 99% of us, it just doesn't work. As badly as we want it to, and as amazingly as it works in our head, in reality, it just doesn't. So I beg you, in this new year, don't fall back into wishful thinking and false hopes, don't let your old memories consume you, who you are, no matter who that is; a successful engineer, a construction worker, a coffee barista, or a student trying to claw your way through your own thoughts, because you will get hurt again. 

  Instead, go outside, take a deep breath and look at the world around you. It's quite beautiful when you just shut the hell up and look. Sorry to be so forceful but that's what I had to do with myself. And it's why I created this blog. I'm a normal, fairly intelligent guy, who could've been miles ahead of where I'm at now, but due to potholes in the road that frankly, I created myself, I'm just getting my life running, from scratch, at 28, and I don't care because, that's life. We can run from it, let it run us, or let it carry us into something better. 

  The first step is really to admit to ourselves that we've created the life we're surrounded by. Sure, some things may be out of our control, but so much more, is. You can sigh or roll your eyes, but you know damn well that's true. And it wasn't until then that my life got better. 

  I still have so much more learning to do, and many more mistakes to make and to get over, so I plan to do it one day at a time. Discover new places, food, people. Discover my life at a time where it's turning every which way and I'm still not sure where it's going to land. Come with me if you'd like, but no matter how lost you are, I urge you to wander, into anything and everything. Just like I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment